Controls or operates entire chemical processes or system of machines.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Monitors recording instruments, flowmeters, panel lights, or other indicators and listens for warning signals, to verify conformity of process conditions.
- Regulates or shuts down equipment during emergency situations, as directed by supervisory personnel.
- Controls or operates chemical processes or systems of machines, using panelboards, control boards, or semi-automatic equipment.
- Moves control settings to make necessary adjustments on equipment units affecting speeds of chemical reactions, quality, or yields.
- Inspects operating units, such as towers, soap-spray storage tanks, scrubbers, collectors, or driers to ensure that all are functioning and to maintain maximum efficiency.
- Draws samples of products and conduct quality control tests to monitor processing and to ensure that standards are met.
- Records operating data, such as process conditions, test results, or instrument readings.
- Patrols work areas to ensure that solutions in tanks or troughs are not in danger of overflowing.
- Turns valves to regulate flow of products or byproducts through agitator tanks, storage drums, or neutralizer tanks.
- Interprets chemical reactions visible through sight glasses or on television monitors and reviews laboratory test reports for process adjustments.