Conducts chemical and physical laboratory tests to assist scientists in making qualitative and quantitative analyses of solids, liquids, and gaseous materials for research and development of new products or processes, quality control, maintenance of environmental standards, and other work involving experimental, theoretical, or practical application of chemistry and related sciences.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production Process Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Conducts chemical or physical laboratory tests to assist scientists in making qualitative or quantitative analyses of solids, liquids, or gaseous materials.
- Maintains, cleans, or sterilizes laboratory instruments or equipment.
- Sets up and conducts chemical experiments, tests, and analyses, using techniques such as chromatography, spectroscopy, physical or chemical separation techniques, or microscopy.
- Monitors product quality to ensure compliance with standards and specifications.
- Prepares chemical solutions for products or processes, following standardized formulas, or creates experimental formulas.
- Provides and maintains a safe work environment by participating in safety programs, committees, or teams and by conducting laboratory or plant safety audits.
- Provides technical support or assistance to chemists or engineers.
- Trains new employees on topics such as the proper operation of laboratory equipment.
- Orders and inventories materials to maintain supplies.
- Compiles and interprets results of tests and analyses.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.