Investigates history and credit standing of individuals or business establishments applying for credit. Telephones or writes to credit departments of business and service establishments to obtain information about applicant's credit standing.
This career is part of the Finance cluster Banking Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Compiles and analyzes credit information gathered by investigation.
- Obtains information about potential creditors from banks, credit bureaus, and other credit services, and provides reciprocal information if requested.
- Interviews credit applicants by telephone or in person to obtain personal and financial data needed to complete credit report.
- Prepares reports of findings and recommendations, using typewriters or computers.
- Contacts former employers and other acquaintances to verify applicants' references, employment, health history, and social behavior.
- Examines city directories and public records to verify residence property ownership, bankruptcies, liens, arrest record, or unpaid taxes of applicants.
- Relays credit report information to subscribers by mail or by telephone.