Appraises automobile or other vehicle damage to determine repair costs for insurance claim settlement. Prepares insurance forms to indicate repair cost or cost estimates and recommendations. May seek agreement with automotive repair shop on repair costs.
This career is part of the Finance cluster Insurance pathway.
A person in this career:
- Evaluates practicality of repair as opposed to payment of market value of vehicle before accident.
- Reviews repair cost estimates with automobile repair shop to secure agreement on cost of repairs.
- Examines damaged vehicle to determine extent of structural, body, mechanical, electrical, or interior damage.
- Prepares insurance forms to indicate repair cost estimates and recommendations.
- Estimates parts and labor to repair damage, using standard automotive labor and parts cost manuals and knowledge of automotive repair.
- Determines salvage value on total-loss vehicle.
- Arranges to have damage appraised by another appraiser to resolve disagreement with shop on repair cost.