Plans, directs, or coordinates activities designed to create or maintain a favorable public image or raise issue awareness for their organization or client; or if engaged in fundraising, plans, directs, or coordinates activities to solicit and maintain funds for special projects or nonprofit organizations.
This career is part of the Marketing cluster Marketing Management pathway.
A person in this career:
- Identifies main client groups and audiences, determines the best way to communicate publicity information to them, and develops and implements a communication plan.
- Develops and maintains the company's corporate image and identity, which includes the use of logos and signage.
- Manages special events, such as sponsorship of races, parties introducing new products, or other activities the firm supports, to gain public attention through the media without advertising directly.
- Writes interesting and effective press releases, prepares information for media kits, and develops and maintains company internet or intranet web pages.
- Designs and edits promotional publications, such as brochures.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients, government officials, and media representatives and use these relationships to develop new business opportunities.
- Evaluates advertising and promotion programs for compatibility with public relations efforts.
- Facilitates consumer relations or the relationship between parts of the company, such as the managers and employees, or different branch offices.
- Establishes goals for soliciting funds, develops policies for collection and safeguarding of contributions, and coordinates disbursement of funds.
- Assigns, supervises, and reviews the activities of public relations staff.