Prepares studies for proposed transportation projects. Gathers, compiles, and analyzes data. Studies the use and operation of transportation systems. Develops transportation models or simulations.
This career is part of the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics cluster Science and Mathematics pathway.
A person in this career:
- Recommends transportation system improvements or projects, based on economic, population, land-use, or traffic projections.
- Defines regional or local transportation planning problems or priorities.
- Participates in public meetings or hearings to explain planning proposals, to gather feedback from those affected by projects, or to achieve consensus on project designs.
- Designs transportation surveys to identify areas of public concern.
- Interprets data from traffic modeling software, geographic information systems, or associated databases.
- Prepares reports or recommendations on transportation planning.
- Designs new or improved transport infrastructure, such as junction improvements, pedestrian projects, bus facilities, or car parking areas.
- Analyzes information related to transportation, such as land use policies, environmental impact of projects, or long-range planning needs.
- Collaborates with engineers to research, analyze, or resolve complex transportation design issues.
- Evaluates transportation project needs or costs.