Maintains order in courts of law.
This career is part of the Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security cluster Security and Protective Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Screens persons entering courthouse using magnetometers, x-ray machines, and other devices to collect and retain unauthorized firearms and other contraband.
- Provides security by patrolling interior and exterior of courthouse and escorting judges and other court employees.
- Enforces courtroom rules of behavior and warns persons not to smoke or disturb court procedure.
- Maintains order in courtroom during trial and guards jury from outside contact.
- Checks courtroom for security and cleanliness and assures availability of sundry supplies, such as notepads, for use by judge, jurors, and attorneys.
- Screens, controls, and handles evidence and exhibits during court proceedings.
- Reports need for police or medical assistance to sheriff's office.
- Stops people from entering courtroom while judge charges jury.
- Announces entrance of judge.
- Escorts prisoners to and from courthouse and maintains custody of prisoners during court proceedings.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.