Receives and disburses money in establishments other than financial institutions. Usually involves use of electronic scanners, cash registers, or related equipment. Often involved in processing credit or debit card transactions and validating checks.
This career is part of the Marketing cluster Professional Sales pathway.
A person in this career:
- Receives payment by cash, check, credit cards, vouchers, or automatic debits.
- Issues receipts, refunds, credits, or change due to customers.
- Assists customers by providing information and resolving their complaints.
- Establishes or identifies prices of goods, services or admission, and tabulates bills using calculators, cash registers, or optical price scanners.
- Greets customers entering establishments.
- Answers customers' questions, and provides information on procedures or policies.
- Sells tickets and other items to customers.
- Processes merchandise returns and exchanges.
- Maintains clean and orderly checkout areas and completes other general cleaning duties, such as mopping floors and emptying trash cans.
- Stocks shelves, and marks prices on shelves and items.