Sells merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, appliances, or apparel to consumers.
This career is part of the Marketing cluster Professional Sales pathway.
A person in this career:
- Greets customers and ascertains what each customer wants or needs.
- Describes merchandise and explains use, operation, and care of merchandise to customers.
- Recommends, selects, and helps locate or obtain merchandise based on customer needs and desires.
- Computes sales prices, total purchases, and receives and processes cash or credit payment.
- Answers questions regarding the store and its merchandise.
- Prepares sales slips or sales contracts.
- Maintains knowledge of current sales and promotions, policies regarding payment and exchanges, and security practices.
- Maintains records related to sales.
- Demonstrates use or operation of merchandise.
- Places special orders or calls other stores to find desired items.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.