Inspects and investigates sources of pollution to protect the public and environment and ensures conformance with Federal, State, and local regulations and ordinances.
This career is part of the Government and Public Administration cluster Governance pathway.
A person in this career:
- Examines permits, licenses, applications, and records to ensure compliance with licensing requirements.
- Prepares written, oral, tabular, and graphic reports summarizing requirements and regulations, including enforcement and chain of custody documentation.
- Determines the nature of code violations and actions to be taken, and issues written notices of violation; participates in enforcement hearings as necessary.
- Prepares, organizes, and maintains inspection records.
- Verifies that hazardous chemicals are handled, stored, and disposed of in accordance with regulations.
- Researches and keeps informed of pertinent information and developments in areas such as EPA laws and regulations.
- Interviews individuals to determine the nature of suspected violations and to obtain evidence of violations.
- Learns and observes proper safety precautions, rules, regulations, and practices so that unsafe conditions can be recognized and proper safety protocols implemented.
- Monitors follow-up actions in cases where violations were found, and reviews compliance monitoring reports.
- Inspects waste pretreatment, treatment, and disposal facilities and systems for conformance to federal, state, or local regulations.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.