Receives, stores, and issues sales floor merchandise. Stocks shelves, racks, cases, bins, and tables with merchandise and arranges merchandise displays to attract customers. May periodically take physical count of stock or check and mark merchandise.
This career is part of the Business Management and Administration cluster Administrative Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Answers customers' questions about merchandise and advises customers on merchandise selection.
- Stamps, attaches, or changes price tags on merchandise, referring to price list.
- Stocks shelves, racks, cases, bins, and tables with new or transferred merchandise.
- Compares merchandise invoices to items actually received to ensure that shipments are correct.
- Itemizes and totals customer merchandise selection at checkout counter, using cash register, and accept cash or charge card for purchases.
- Transports packages to customers' vehicles.
- Takes inventory or examines merchandise to identify items to be reordered or replenished.
- Receives, opens, unpacks and issues sales floor merchandise.
- Cleans display cases, shelves, and aisles.
- Designs and sets up advertising signs and displays of merchandise on shelves, counters, or tables to attract customers and promote sales.